Navigate this page hide
Visual Studio Code offers the support of extensions for added functionality, productivity, debugging, and speed. You can install the extensions either from the marketplace or manually through a .vsix file. This article explains how to install .vsix in Visual Studio Code.
What is VSIX?
VSIX stands for Visual Studio Extension. A VSIX file contains one or more Visual Studio extensions. VSIX files contain package descriptions, binaries, and other resources that make up the extension.
Follow the steps below to install a .vsix file in VS Code:
- Go to marketplace.visualstudio.com and download the extension by clicking the Download Extension button. Here, I am downloading the Prettier extension.
- From the sidebar in VS Code, open the Extensions tab.
- Inside the “Extensions” panel, click on the Overflow button with the ellipsis icon and select Install from VSIX.
- Go to the path where you downloaded the VSIX file. Select the file and click on Install.
- You’ll be prompted with a successful installation message on the bottom-right corner.